Founder and managing partner
I spend my time working out what clients actually need rather than what solicitors think they want. From there, I focus on how to deliver the best service at the best price – this involves my on-going search for talent and frequent review of costs.
Work and clients
I am passionate about enterprise and those prepared to risk all and set up a business. With a tax and accountancy as well as legal background, I offer the rare ability to put commerciality into practice. I oversee matters spanning all of the practice areas drawing on many years of experience to provide direction. I am not as grand as to have forgotten that Gannons was a start up once upon a time.
I am a regular writer and speaker for a variety of commercial organisations.
- Acting for the seller of a franchise business involving 25 outlets, to a quoted company buyer. Key to the deal was ensuring that the franchise model was not adversely affected
- Preparing a share option valuation for the purposes of a CSOP scheme for a major tour operating company
- Assisting in seven rounds of unapproved option grants to key employees of a successful finance company. The trade meant that the business could not qualify for any of the HMRC approved option arrangements
- Preparing a post-completion investment agreement for the management team following the completion of their MBO of an enforcement agency. The agreement permitted the management team to subscribe for further shares at a “sweat equity” value providing the target met certain financial projections
- Using an unfair prejudice petition as leverage to negotiate a departure for our client, a minority shareholder in a mobile application development company, with uplift in the market value of our client’s shares due to a lucrative contract obtained pre-completion.
- Advising a senior employee of a robotics company on the implication of becoming an employee shareholder where the employer intended to gift the shares. This involved strategic tax advice and advice on share rights
- Acting for a former director and shareholder who was dismissed by his employer and lost his entrepreneurs’ relief. Our successful challenge of the dismissal led to a commercial settlement agreement and damages equal to the loss of tax.
After qualifying in the accountancy profession as a Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA), I qualified as a solicitor and gained experience at international law firms before establishing Gannons in 2002.
- Chartered Tax Advisor
- Institute of Directors
- Employee Share Ownership Centre
- Employee Share Plan Lawyers
- Tax committee member for International Referral
Why I love my job
I give back to the economy via job creation, training and taxes. It feels good to know I am actively contributing to Brand GB. I have learnt a lot along the way and have been very privileged in working with some industry greats. I pass their knowledge shared with me onto my team who pass it onto our clients – another great feeling. What is there not to like?
Catherine creates the news: