Based in the creative hub of central London, our specialist art team has grown over the years. We combine our wide-ranging expertise in solving commercial problems with our passion and understanding of the commercial art world. We deliver pragmatic and commercially informed solutions for our clients, whatever their circumstances.
Typical art law services we provide:
Today, we advise and assist artists, galleries, studios, collectors, investors and everything in between on the wide range of legal issues that arise in the art world.
- Commissions: we regularly advise artists and commissioners in connection with private and public art commissions. We also protect works of joint authorship, future use of works and provide ‘best practice’ guidelines and practical advice for artists and designers.
- Gallery/artist agreements: we work with a number of independent artists and galleries in connection with exhibition and consignment agreements, long-term representation agreements and loans to museums and galleries.
- Intellectual property protection: focusing on copyright protection and exploitation, we also assist artists with registration and enforcement of trade marks and domain names and other intellectual property rights, particularly involving commissions and collaborations.
- Sales: the acquisition, ownership, and sale of art galleries and studios is a specialist niche. The team frequently handle complex sales of art spaces within a tight time frame.
- Dispute resolution: whether you are an artist, collector, investor or gallery, our specialist negotiators have a wealth of experience in settling disputes to achieve a workable and commercial outcome. The team often deal with highly complex, industry-specific issues.
Who to contact
Head of our art law team, John Deane, has many years of experience in the art industry. Blending knowledge of the market with legal expertise, he regularly works with established individuals in the industry and independent galleries.