In a climate of fast-moving technology developments and innovation our lawyers react quickly to identify how existing technology laws and principles can be applied practically to emerging technologies. We deliver commercially beneficial outcomes for our technology and innovation clients that are fast, focused and fit for purpose.
How we help technology and innovation businesses
We recognise the increasing importance of technology to all businesses – from commercial exploitation and outsourcing to safeguarding data and protecting valuable intellectual property. Our aim is to improve legally every stage of the technology business life cycle – whether they are start-ups, SMEs, individual creators or multinational companies.
Our Technology and innovation team brings together our specialist legal and commercial expertise in a range of industries, including:
- Artificial intelligence
- Brand protection and reputation
- Cloud-based technology
- Commercial contracts such as licences, R & D , collaboration, distribution and agency agreement
- Communications, media and entertainment
- Confidential information and trade secrets
- Creation and ownership of intellectual property (IP), including domain name disputes
- Data protection/GDPR, freedom of information, data sharing and information privacy
- Digital rights management
- EULAs (End User Licence Agreements)
- Gig economy platforms
- Information technology agreements and disputes
- M&A, including restructurings, de-mergers and buyouts in the technology sector
- Social media use and abuse, including ISP liability issues
- Software and smart devices development and ownership issues, provider, supply and maintenance agreements, and service level agreements
We also support our clients as they enter emerging technology industries such as cryptocurrencies, distributed ledger technologies such as blockchain, and e-commerce advertising. As these technologies increasingly connect our clients with global business partners we ensure that their latest ventures avoid falling foul of EU anti-competitive regulations.
Sometimes innovation can cause conflict with investors or business partners. We assist with the resolution of technology disputes with commercial solutions. Our aim is to mediate, and if we have to, litigate, to manage legal risks and maximise revenue.
We also perform technology reviews and due diligence as part of valuations, sales and acquisitions.