I am the partner charged with running the company team. We support companies, partnerships, entrepreneurs and shareholders. After 20 years as a lawyer I understand a diverse range of business sectors, however, many current clients are high-tech businesses.
My experience gives me the ability to act proportionately. Acting proportionately means that we assess risk and only devote resources where needed. The cost benefit analysis is always on our radar.
I’m qualified in both the USA and the UK. Before joining Gannons I was employed by a leading US law firm in London and New York and also worked as in-house counsel.
- New York Bar Association
The team focuses on:
Business acquisitions and disposals
The bulk of our work involves buying and selling businesses. For us, share disposals and asset sales are routine. Usually, these transactions must meet external deadlines. We have built a solid team and management processes to achieve your timetable.
Our reputation is growing. The deal value is increasing. Deal sizes now range from £300,000 to £20 million.
Company commercial work
Much of my team’s work is non-contentious. We provide general advisory and transactional services to corporate businesses. We resolve issues related to:
- Company structures;
- Terms and conditions;
- Business tax.
Many clients seek EIS or SEIS investment and we advise on numerous advance assurances each month. We are active members of the UK Business Angels Association. We act for both investors and entrepreneurs and draft and review investment documentation (including crowd funding documents).
Employee share schemes
We represent both employers looking to implement equity incentives, e.g. EMI options, and employees seeking advice on those schemes.
Why I love my job
I have always admired the courage of my clients who create and manage their own businesses. To work with such people is a privilege.
My team is great. Our culture and working environment brings out the best in people. Supervising such a team, who share the same outlook, is inspiring.
I enjoy securing the best position for my clients. The satisfaction gained from a client win remains tremendous. That’s why I chose a firm where I am at the coal face.
- Advising Draft House on the £14.5 million sale to Brewdog PLC;
- Advising the shareholders of a London restaurant chain on the sale of the entire company;
- Acting for the shareholders of a management consultancy company on the sale to a French multinational;
- Representing the shareholders of a software company on the sale of the entire company to one of the UK’s top 5 accountancy firms;
- Acting for various companies across all sectors in relation to the preparation of SEIS and EIS Advance Assurance applications;
- Negotiating with HMRC regarding the refusal to award EIS advance assurance to a Company in the retail sector;
- Representing investors in numerous digital media and IT start-up businesses in negotiating investment agreements;
- Acting for a number of companies entering into EMI and CSOP schemes to incentivise employees; and
- Representing several companies in restructuring to facilitate a shareholder being bought out of the company (including seeking HMRC clearance).