Tax lawyers in London
If you like what you've read about our specialist tax law service, please pick up the phone or email us for a chat about how we can help.
The ability to think about tax at the same time as negotiating the share sale contract was a huge benefit.
Gannons tax law expertise.
If you are looking for a London tax law firm who can combine the practicalities of legal documentation, tax and compliance as a seamless service we could be the fit.
It is taken as read we know the law and can produce clear documents. The extra layer of skill over and above the average is we can also review your tax affairs and correct any problems to avoid HMRC challenge.
We always explore with clients the best and most cost efficient solution for our fees.
Benefits of working with us
We are a specialist law firm with a strong tax capability made up of solicitors, members of the Chartered Institute for Taxation and the Chartered Institute of Accountants.
- Many of our clients are referred to us by their accountants for work such as business restructuring, reorganisations and share buy backs as the accountants know this is a specialist area where it is easy to go wrong if not on familiar territory.
- Our focus is on private companies, their directors and shareholders.
- The ability of looking at the financial aspects and accounts is a benefit for getting businesses into shape good ready for eventual sale.
- Our international legal and tax connections – in today’s worldwide economy many transactions have international parties and cross border considerations.
- Our active membership of international legal networks means we are an excellent choice for businesses and entrepreneurs who don’t enjoy working with the biggest law firms or paying their hourly rates.
Tax Lawyers – our specialist services
Below are some of the common instructions our tax solicitors work on:-
Tax avoidance schemes
We have never and will not ever recommend tax avoidance schemes. We firmly stand against those who conceive, promote or are otherwise involved with ‘tax avoidance schemes’. We can assist those who have entered into tax avoidance schemes and found themselves caught in a mess.
Tax issues for shareholders
Business Assets Disposal Relief (entrepreneurs relief), Investors relief, tax on the sale of shares acquired under EIS or SEIS, capital gains tax, tax on deferred consideration and earn outs, income tax issues for employees provided with shares.
Gannons solicitors completed 60 share buy back agreements last year obtaining advance clearance from HMRC and dealing with deferred payment terms.
We scope the steps needed to implement the desired structure with the intention of securing that liabilities to tax do not arise that would be treated as tax neutral if approached correctly. Steps include obtaining HMRC clearance where applicable. Savings are achieved for our clients as when we come to draft the documentation we understand the steps to be implemented.
Employment taxes and liabilities under IR35
We advise on tax law issues associated with workers, employees, directors, consultants and contractors. The PAYE regime is particularly pernicious for those who fail to operate tax and national insurance withholding obligations. We deal with:
Shares and options – tax aspects
Tax legal advice and support for employers, directors and employees on the award, exercise and sale of shares. We cover design and implementation, expertise in EMI options, unapproved options and growth shares. We establish the taxable value of shares in private companies and secure agreement with HMRC and advise on the complex tax reporting obligations to HMRC on the provision of shares to employees and directors.
Review and support for tax payers facing challenges made by HMRC. Particular expertise in resolving tax disputes.
Catherine is well known for turning complex problems into solutions. No case is ever easy but she will find a way. In her spare time she runs Gannons a very successful law firm.